Laugh with us, cry with us, and learn about AUTISM!

Sunday 9 December 2012

Holidays and Letting Things Go

I've found that the only way to keep my stress levels to a reasonable level is to accept and let go of certain things.  It's very hard sometimes though.  Especially around Christmas!  I love Christmas, and everything that comes along with it.  The lights, decorations, cookies, baking, crafts, music, parties...

I wanted to go get a tree.  Kevin suggested he could just pick one up, but I said "No way!"  I love getting the Christmas tree.  I'm glad that my common sense prevailed, and I later told him to do it.  There is no way that would have gone well with Josie!  No boots, no mitts, lots of people she doesn't know, having to stay close to Mom and Dad...  Not to mention Miss 20 Pound Sofia, who would demand to be carried around the whole time!  I accepted that it would be very stressful to me, (and the whole family!) and let go of it.

I LOVE Christmas lights.  I have somewhere in the area of 25 boxes worth (Yes I'm nuts!)  My Christmas lights are not out.  I've accepted the fact that my children cannot play outside for very long, so I can't do it.  Kevin has a lot of other important things to do, and most importantly is having fun with the kids when he can.  I don't want to give him up for a few hours so he can do it, nor do I want to be by myself out there for a few hours doing it.  I've decided to let the Christmas lights go this year.  

The shopping isn't done yet.  Usually I'm done by December 1st.  I've accepted this, and am still working on letting it go.  I hate crowds, now I'm going to have to deal with them...  Nothing I can do about it.  Except for accepting it and letting it go.  (And just getting it done!)

Baking is nowhere near complete...  it's not even really started!  Nothing I can do except for either get stressed out about it...  or accept and let it go...

I could go on and on.  Josie does not like making decorations, Sofia keeps trying to eat all the decorations, I probably won't get a chance to watch any Christmas shows, I didn't get to make any homemade gifts this year...  I'm sure you get the idea.

Life gets the better of me sometimes.  I get so incredibly stressed out and overwhelmed.  It's hard to accept things that cannot be changed and just let things go.  I have no choice but to do that, or have Christmas be completely ruined for me.  I have to be mindful of the wonderful moments we do have (like decorating the tree, which the kids loved!) and just accept that Christmas time is different for Kevin and I now that we have kids.

I find depression rearing its ugly head at me this holiday season.  But I will fight it, and I WILL enjoy Christmas!  That is one thing I will not accept and let go of.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...