Laugh with us, cry with us, and learn about AUTISM!

Wednesday 21 November 2012

Making A Visual Timeline



One of the suggestions I've had given to me is to make Josie a visual timeline.  Josie has some difficulty with changes in routine, but it's not too bad.  However, Josie has a very hard time understanding things without having a visual representation of them.  So this suggestion really made sense to me.  



I looked at buying a kit, but holy cow are they expensive!  So, crafty me decided to make my own.  Off I went to get printer ink, paper, and my newest toy...  a laminator!  Then I found a free program online that would allow me to make a print my own PEC's (picture exchange cards, more on that in a later post) and timeline.

Here is how I made my visual timeline:

Step 1
Create the timeline cards and print them.






Step 2
Cut out the cards and arrange in laminating pouches.






Step 3
Laminate!














Step 4
Trim the laminated cards.















Step 5
Affix velcro to wall and back of cards.



 





Step 6


Layout your day!






The velcro allows you to make the timeline very accurate, as you can adjust what your doing every day!  I'm thinking the visual timeline is going to be a very helpful tool, it will allow Josie to see exactly what is going to happen throughout the day.  It will also allow me to use "First this, then that" phrases easily, knowing that she is understanding what I am saying thanks to the visual cues.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...